Public transport is at the heart of how we all live our lives. At Chiltern Railways we want public transport to be truly inclusive so disabled people can travel as easily and confidently as everyone else. The new guidance for using public transport is there to help keep us all safe, yet we know that travelling in a Covid-19 environment has presented a number of challenges for many disabled people. The ‘it’s everyone’s journey’ campaign aims to enable more disabled people to travel with confidence, by challenging the way we use public transport and encouraging us to have a little more consideration for our fellow passengers.
The key messages include:
• Being prepared to help each other
• Being patient with each other
• Being aware of face covering exemptions
• Making space where others can’t
• Being prepared to give up a priority seat
• Providing reassurance around regular cleaning routines
• Raising awareness of support services available across the network
Prior to the pandemic, 1 in 4 disabled people said that negative attitudes from other passengers prevented them from using public transport. The new return to public transport provides a unique opportunity to be more alert to the needs of those around us, as we all take positive steps to actively protect others. We hope the campaign will encourage us all to play our part in making public transport more inclusive, and help make a world of difference.
To find out more about the campaign, everyonesjourney.campaign.gov.uk/ #ItsEveryonesJourney