Skip to main content



Disruption information: We want to make information better – tell us how! Fill out this online Disruption Survey.



Chiltern Railways offers passengers the right to claim compensation for delays under our own Delay Compensation Scheme.

If the initial cause of your delay occurred while travelling with another train company, your claim should be submitted directly to that train operator. Please visit their website for more information.

This page sets out how you can claim compensation from Chiltern Railways in this way. However, you do not have to use this scheme as you may also be able to claim for a delay under our Passenger Charter or the Consumer Rights Act 2015, although you cannot recover the same money twice.

You may also be entitled to recover compensation for other types of loss you have suffered that do not relate to delay or a cancelled service, and which are caused by Chiltern Railways. Further guidance is contained in the National Rail Conditions of Travel and in our Passenger Charter.

If you are travelling using a paper single or return ticket, and intend to make a claim for delay compensation, please DO NOT put your ticket through the ticket barrier at the end of the journey.  You will need to keep your ticket to support your claim.

If you are delayed on a Chiltern Railways journey and the cause of the delay was within the railway industry control you can claim compensation. You must make a claim within 28 days of travel. Our compensation policy is :

When can you claim compensation under our Delay Compensation scheme ?

You may be entitled to claim compensation if you are delayed in reaching your destination as a result of a delay or cancellation of a Chiltern Railways train service. We are not able to consider any compensation claims in respect of delays if the delayed services are not operated by Chiltern Railways. You must make a claim within 28 days of the relevant journey unless informed otherwise by Chiltern Railways

How can you claim compensation ?

To claim compensation either :

1) Complete the online form contact us form and send a picture of your ticket to claim compensation.


2) Download the form at the bottom of this page and post it to the address on the form with the tickets you are claiming compensation on.  


3) Collect a claim form from any staffed Chiltern Railways station and send it to us.

Will I always receive compensation?

No. We are not able to consider any compensation claims which arise due to circumstances outside of our control. Examples of events outside of the railway’s control include vandalism, the striking of a bridge by a vehicle, line closures at the request of the police or emergency services, and suicides or accidents involving trespassers. This is a summary only of excludable reasons. Further guidance is contained in the National Conditions of Travel and in our Passenger’s Charter.

How much compensation will you receive ?

If you are delayed by 30 minutes to 59 minutes, you will receive 50% of the cost of your single ticket, or 25% of your return ticket.

If you are delayed by 60 minutes or more you will receive the full cost of your single ticket or 50% or your return ticket.

In respect of season tickets, the compensation arrangements are set out in our Passenger Charter.

How much compensation will you receive as a season ticket holder?

For Season ticket holders, the amount compensated will be calculated on the cost of an Anytime Single ticket for the journey you were making.

Refund policy for additional tickets

Our policy is that customers should not be forced to pay more to travel by train because of disruption, when buying a National Rail ticket, than would otherwise have been the case. We will offer refunds to customers with valid National Rail tickets who are forced to pay more through no fault of their own. This does not apply to Oyster users as the Oyster Conditions of Use on National Rail Services states that, during service disruption, customers will be charged the fare appropriate for the services and zones actually used.