Due to Network Rail major infrastructure improvement works from July 7–22 and July 28-29 Chiltern Railways trains will not serve Oxford station. Trains will operate between Marylebone and stations to Bicester Village, Islip and Oxford Parkway, with some minor changes to timetables.
The Network Rail improvement work taking place will be to modernise the existing 1960s signalling, which will make train services travelling through Oxford, Didcot and Reading more reliable.
Network Rail is also maintaining, upgrading and remodelling the track layout around Oxford station. Read more about the works here.
Travel advice for Chiltern Railways customers:
- No Chiltern Railways trains will call at Oxford from July 7–22 and July 28-29.
- Trains will operate between Marylebone and stations to Bicester Village, Islip and Oxford Parkway, with some minor changes to timetables.
- Trains will be much busier than usual from/to Oxford Parkway during the works. We know not everyone can change the time they travel, but if possible, customers may wish to travel outside of peak times for a more comfortable journey.
- Chiltern Railways will add extra carriages to Oxford Parkway services where possible for the anticipated increase of customers travelling.
Buses replacing trains
- Buses will replace trains between Oxford and Oxford Parkway during these periods. If using public transport, please take the 500 bus between Oxford and Oxford Parkway – your rail ticket will be accepted.
At Oxford Parkway station:
In addition to our existing car parks, Chiltern Railways customers will also be able to use part of the Water Eaton Park & Ride. That means 1500+ spaces for customers available. Please note, Chiltern Railways Season tickets will not be valid in the Park & Ride. Park & Ride car park users must pay using the machines in that area (£2 per day!)
At Oxford station:
There will be very limited parking spaces at Oxford during the works.
We recommend parking at Oxford Parkway, where we have 1500+ spaces available between the Chiltern Railways car parks and the Water Eaton Park & Ride. Chiltern Railways customers can park in both areas for just £2 per day. (Chiltern Railways Season tickets not valid in the Park & Ride. Park & Ride car park users must pay using the machines in that area).
Click here for Google Maps to Oxford Parkway. Oxford OX2 8HA
At Banbury station:
- During the works periods the West Side car park at Banbury station, will be closed. The car park will be used as a drop off and pick up point for CrossCountry bus replacement services to Oxford and Didcot. Please use the East side, multi-storey car park, located off Merton Street – OX16 4RN.
Bikes on trains
Our usual Bike Policy is operating during the block.
From Monday to Friday you can use most of our trains, with the exception of our busiest peak hour services.
For the safety and comfort of all our passengers, bikes are not allowed at any point during the journey on any train:
- Arriving at London Marylebone or Oxford Parkway from 0745 to 1000.
- Leaving London Marylebone or Oxford Parkway from 1630 to 1930.
- Non-folding bicycles are not permitted for any part of the journey on the train that leaves Bicester North at 0623 on weekday mornings, Haddenham & Thame Parkway 0635, Princes Risborough 0644, High Wycombe 0654 and Beaconsfield 0702 and arrives at London Marylebone at 0728. This is due to the type of train used to form this service.
Trains shown in our timetable with the symbol ⊘ means that bikes are not permitted on board at any point during this service.
Timetables are available from our website.
There are no restrictions on folding bikes at any time, provided they are fully folded.
For information about cycle storage facilities at our stations click here.
Bikes on the 500 bus:
Regular bikes are not permitted at any time on the 500 bus.
There are no restrictions on folding bikes at any time on the 500 bus, provided they are fully folded.
Cycles can be hired from just outside London Marylebone Station.
For information visit: www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/cycling/santander-cycles
- Buying tickets in advance via our website or app will save time at stations and guarantee the best Chiltern Railways prices.
- If you select to collect pre-purchased tickets from a station, please leave longer for your journey or pick up before as stations are expected to be much busier.
- Please allow extra time into your journey and be patient.
- Always check before you travel. For the latest information on your travel date, please check our ‘Special Timetables’ section for the latest information and any amended timetables that may be in operation.
- Follow our Hot Weather Advice, especially when travelling on busy peak time trains.
During the works, please continue to enjoy our complimentary Wi-Fi and comfortable seating onboard.
Thank you for your patience while the improvement works are carried out.
This page will be continually updated with the latest information.
Click here to purchase tickets in advance with the best Chiltern Railways prices or download the Chiltern Railways app.